Have you ever been in the grocery store and seen a cute person picking up the same exact peanut butter as you? Or you keep making eyes with someone across the bar? What about that person who you see on the bus every day? Crushes happen quickly and easily, and while it’s scary to act on them, flirting with new people when you’re single or in an open relationship can be really fun!
However, it can also come off a little creepy. Here are some tips to make sure that you are not coming off in a way you don’t mean to when making that first move.
- Be yourself. Don’t put on an act or say things you don’t believe. This isn’t fair to either of you.
- Don’t touch the person without their consent. This means do not walk up to the stranger and put your arm around them or grab their arm or waist. They did not consent to this, and consent is always necessary.
- Don’t trap the person, which means don’t block their path or block them in their seat on the train or bus. This is very threatening and can be a scary trigger.
- Don’t make sexual comments or innuendo in the conversation.
- Do compliment the person on something other than their body.
- Do be honest and polite.
- Do use a polite introduction. Straightforward and simple is often the way to go.
- Do be careful when hitting on someone who is getting paid to be nice to you, like a waiter or a bartender. They often deal with a lot of aggressive attention and flirtation, and you want to make sure you are not adding to this.
- Do pay attention when you start a conversation. Show that you are engaged, ask them follow up questions, keep engaging them, don’t look around the room or pull out your phone.
- Make eye contact. But don’t stare at people, that starts to get creepy.
- Use humor but don’t force anything!
Be safe, have fun and get your flirt on! And if you have other tips, let us know!